About the vacancy
Our client is one of the biggest online retailers worldwide with annual revenue of £1 billion. Over the years we helped the client develop web-portals, mobile apps, delivery control systems, staff management tools, data storage, and much more. The systems we’ve built together are in operation 24/7, contributing to the client’s success.
Site Reliability Engineering is a new role, first introduced by Google, that combines the skills of developers and ops to deliver more reliable, scalable software. The goal is to analyze a diverse set of applications (primarily built using Java, Oracle, AWS, Google Cloud services, and several other technologies) and bind them into a reliable self-healing suite, working within defined reliability requirements. This requires proactive work to ensure observability, analyze potential bottlenecks, and suggest their fixes before they become a production incident.
This position may be of interest to DevOps engineers who would like to get closer to the code or get valuable specialization with a focus on JVM stack. The position may also appeal to developers who are interested in how large scale systems operate and what happens to the code is compiled.
- Analyze and improve the availability, latency, performance, and efficiency of the applications
- Proactive support of production applications (both in-office and out of hours) across a range of domains, these are mainly written in Java and use Oracle databases
- Improve the monitoring and alerting of the applications
- Capacity planning and provisioning
- Improve and standardize build pipelines, identify and reduce any areas of manual toil through automation
- Consult in areas of reliability and scalability for the development of new applications
- Work together with teams in other departments to find solutions
- Conduct periodic on-call duties
Who we're looking for?
- Experience in analyzing and troubleshooting production systems
- Experience with modern software development, preferably in Java
- Deep Understanding of Linux and UNIX-based systems
- Familiarity with Agile software development practices
- Understanding of TDD principles
- Solid knowledge of SQL and modern databases
- Experience with CI/CD-systems
- Experience with networking (TCP/UDP, ICMP, DNS, etc), OSI Layers, infrastructure services, and security
- Experience with software monitoring and alerting systems
- Good English communication and problem-solving skills
Would be a plus
- Familiarity with cloud technologies
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with NoSQL databases
- Healthcare package
- Healthcare package for families
- Leisure package
- Leisure package for families
- Cold beverages
- Hot beverages