Mediately is growing and we're looking for a Ruby backend engineer!
We are helping doctors make the best decisions by making medical knowledge accessible. With our mobile app we make their jobs easier and save them time, so they can dedicate more time to their real job, helping patients. We started with an idea from two doctors in 2012, and we are now by far the most popular medical information app in 8 countries and expanding, with an enthusiastic and growing team of 27 people.
Used daily by 150.000 doctors and a combined 340.000 healthcare professionals, we answer millions of their questions each month, about which drug to prescribe, how to prescribe it, how to diagnose a disease, and much more. And our users love us (links to reviews below), more than half of all doctors in Slovenia use the app daily. We're expanding to even more countries and adding more features, so we need you!
This is a senior position, requiring an experienced developer to help us maintain and build upon the backend of our mobile/web apps. We have quite a well developed data-processing pipeline that scrapes many web sources across 8 countries (HTML, but also DOC, PDF, XLS…) and then cleans data, verifies data, raises warnings, merges multiple sources, applies custom fixes and finally builds single-file databases for use in mobile apps. (Before the final build, quality assurance is performed by a separate team.)
You will be joining the backend/ops team of 5 developers (3 more in the mobile team) and your main tasks will be:
- maintaining data-processing pipeline and improving its architecture
- building scraping and parsing components for new sources
- improving data quality assurance processes
Who we're looking for?
- You need to be very comfortable with relational databases, Linux and the command-line. Experience with web scraping at scale, data processing pipelines and software architectures in general is very desirable.
- For Polish people this is a fully remote position (we have several developers working remotely full-time, including one from Poland). Most of our team is based in Ljubljana, but we also organize a yearly team retreat, a picnic and some holiday celebrations, so there's plenty of opportunity to meet in person.
- We use agile development methods as much as is practical, but we're not zealots. A very short daily meeting is unavoidable, otherwise we will let you work in peace.
- We do not obsess over formal education, as long as you have the skills we need.
- If you see yourself helping our user base of 340.000 medical professionals and over 3 million patients (growing ~90% yearly in the last few years) who currently depend on us for fast, useful and objective drug information, contact us!
- Hot beverages
- Adaptation tips
- Help finding an apartment