Android Developer (First Direct)
First direct is banking’s best kept secret. We’re a bank that absolutely has its customers at its heart – which is demonstrated through the amazing numbers of awards we win for customer service, not just in the banking sector but across all sectors. We were the UK’s first phone bank and now we’re fantastic digital business, powered by amazing humans.
And we only want to make that better. We have ambitious plans to make the most of our current market position to really grow the first direct business. To do this we’re investing in building a best in class IT team. first direct IT work really closely with other business teams to ensure we create the right solutions for both the business and the customer and to support our strategic plans.
First direct is a member of the HSBC group and is one of the major contributors of profit to the Retail Banking & Wealth Management businesses (that’s everyday banking and investments to you and me). Retail banking services over 50 million customers globally and offers a whole range of banking products and services.
HSBC’s vision is to ‘Build banking’s leading technology company’ and first direct wants to lead the way.
The role of the Engineer (Mobile - Android) will work in a cross functional agile team, developing and testing code to support first direct’s native Android app.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Use the latest technologies, processes and tools to deliver frequently, safely and efficiently
- Be responsible for translating detailed designs into robust, scalable and reusable solutions
- Participate in engineering discipline, best practice and standards compliance within first direct and global IT
Who we're looking for?
The ideal candidate for this role will have the below experience and qualifications:
- Expertise in developing native Android applications using Java, Kotlin, Android Studio and Mockito
- Experience of consuming REST APIs / JSON
- Experience of working in an Agile environment - Scrum or Kanban with knowledge of Agile tooling, such as Jira, Confluence and Slack
- Understanding of the principles of DevOps and Continuous Integration / Delivery with knowledge of DevOps tooling such as Jenkins, Git, GitHub and Nexus
Experience is desirable, though not essential, in the following:
- Native iOS development - Swift 4 and Xcode
- API development (preferably Java 8, Spring Boot, Maven) or Browser development (preferably Node.JS, React)
In addition to the details listed above, the ideal candidate will:
- Be an approachable, collaborative and supportive team member
- An ability and desire to keep with up with current trends and learn new technologies in order to develop Full Stack engineering capabilities
- Being able to communicate effectively – spoken and written – to convey complex technical subject matter clearly, adapting to the audience
- Experience of working in a large scale delivery environment, with multiple developers working on a single code base with split deliveries
How we work?
- Healthcare package for families
- Healthcare package
- Life insurance
- Medical consultations in our office
- Employee assistance programme
- Free sport clubs
- Fitness, yoga and massages in office
- Multisport card
- Financial bonus
- Hot beverages
- In-house language courses
- Financial and technology academy
- Access to leading e-learning platforms
- Car parking
- Bicycle parking