A Unified Communications, Teams / Skype for Business / Web Conferencing, engineer to work as part of a distributed Real Time Communications Engineering team committed to delivering a modern, effective and fast developing Unified Communications service.
The core of the UC service is Microsoft Skype for Business, with a move to Microsoft Teams underway. These services are integrated into UBS Enterprise Voice & Video (Avaya & Cisco), Compliance services (Actiance Vantage), and the usual Provisioning, Management and Monitoring tools expected in any Global service environment. Endpoints include standard desktop / BYOD, Thin / VDI (Citrix HDX) and Mobile.
In addition there are 2 externally hosted Web Conferencing services, Webex & Zoom, available to users who need to engage with external parties and using Skype or Teams does not effectively cover the use case.
The role requires SME level technical knowledge in Microsoft UC technology, with experience of designing, documenting, building and certifying solutions in a large global organisation. In addition experience of certifying and deploying external Web Conferencing services such as Webex and Zoom would be of benefit, as would experience with enterprise Voice & Video. The ability to develop tools and processes to integrate and augment UC services into the working environment is essential.
The role is primarily Engineering but also requires a level of Operational L3 support, augmenting the ability of the service operations team in diagnosing and fixing problems.
The individual should be passionate about IT, be able to work effectively independently and as part of a wider distributed team
The role of the UC Engineer involves interpreting business, security and regulatory requirements and designing solutions to meet those requirements. This will include sustaining and developing the current products and ensuring the solutions offered are the best of breed and most appropriate for UBS. Liaising with vendors, business users, IT support staff and UBS security/risk officers is part of the role. Internal teams require comprehensive, clear and concise documentation regarding all aspects of each solution. Administrative processes associated with installing and maintaining solutions must be carefully adhered to and automated with scripts where possible. There is also a requirement to keep various inventory systems up-to-date to help track risk issues, service gaps and process evidence for regulatory purposes.
A high degree of self-sufficiency is expected and consequently a level of technical knowledge that enables that.Third-line support/consultancy is required in the event of escalations from UBS IT support teams. Training of IT support staff is required when handing over new solutions for implementation.
There will be opportunities to influence the strategic roadmap of UC services, attending meetings with both vendors and business representatives, discussing functionality and providing guidance and feedback.
Who we're looking for?
- Good experience and strong understanding of Microsoft UC technology, both back end and client end points, and including integration with Enterprise Voice & Media services.
- Knowledgeable and with experience in Microsoft Teams and its potential beyond the traditional UC services.
- Knowledgeable and with experience in Azure Cloud services and how they operate and integrate.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows components (e.g. Active Directory, Windows server, SQL Server)
- Programming, scripting, powershell experience specifically for automating administrative tasks and delivering tools that augment the core service.
- Good report writing and documentation skills, good verbal communication skills
- Strong troubleshooting ability with extensive hands-on IT support experience, both back-end and user-facing. Able to generate options and recommend solutions which are logical reasonable and realistic.
- Experience of working in a large organisation.
- Ability to challenge the status quo and to generate new ideas and creative approaches.
- Able to develop and manage clear and realistic action plans to accomplish given objectives.
- Hosted Web Conferencing services - Webex & Zoom - defining / deploying / managing
- Actiance Vantage Compliance for Archiving and Information barriers
- Experience in software development practice, notably Java, .NET, and Perl development including the ongoing development and maintenance of frameworks for shared use.
- Experience within the financial services sector and/or a globally distributed organisation
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Meticulous nature with attention to detail
- Self-motiviated with ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Collaborative nature; willing to share ideas, debate solutions and achieve consensus
- Patience, tenacity and a desire to drive the service forward and make a difference
- Strong time management skills with ability to provide regular status updates and meet firm deadlines
- Aptitude for writing and organising useful information such as knowledge base articles
- Willingness to adhere to tightly controlled and sometimes complex processes and procedures