Middleware Ops Enginneer
- Primarily responsible for a number of middleware components, primarily IBM Websphere Application Server and
decentral IBM MQ servers running on both Windows and Linux. This includes deployment work, patching and
keeping up to date, and troubleshooting.
- Supporting the developer organization in continually updating and maintaing build and deploy jobs and
configurations. We use a homegrown Python based Deployengine for most current systems. New systems are,
where applicable, deployed on our OpenShift PaaS using Jenkins pipelines.
- Handling incoming service requests and incidents from staff internally as well as external partners. This
does not include support for actual end users, only technical staff.
Problem analysis and resolutions of incidents in the middleware layer, or supporting the applications deployed on
said middleware. Level of involvement varies from gathering and deciphering log files, to advise on platform
optimizations or debugging in a broader scope (including network, windows platform etc)
- Migration work. Examples of these are Windows 20082016, and application migrations from older towards newer
versions of MS SQL.
- Handling certificate updates
- Working with our external hosting provider on maintaining OS baselines for Windows and Linux.
- Recurring tasks on documentation reviews and audits to ensure that our systems live up to the strict regulation in
the financial markets.
- Improve infrastructure over time (reliability, dashboards pinpointing problem areas, consolidation on multiple levels
(servers, logging, network,...)
Middleware team providing integration and support enterprisewide running in SAFe together with other development and operations teams.
Who we're looking for?
Knowlegde of IBM software such as:
IBM Websphere Application server (8.5.5),
IBM MQ (version 7.1 & 8)
IBM Message Broker (version 7)
Windows Server 20082016
Familiarity with scripting and automating in Python and Ansible.
Day to day server/middleware operations experience
Linux experience (RHEL specifically) is a plus, but not a requirement
Familiarity with other types of middleware: JBoss, Tomcat, IIS, Jetty, NGINX, MS AD, Heimdal, and Apache Camel
Good understanding of DevOps, Continous Delivery and Release Managements processes as well as tools such
as: Jenkins, Git, Jira, Maven, Artifactory, FishEyeNICE TO HAVE
Knowledge and experience of Agile (Scrum) methodology.
"Automation first" mindset
English proficiency oral & written
Relevant technical education or certifications
Team player collaborating, documenting and sharing knowledge in a Scrum driven team.
A positive outgoing personality coupled with responsibility
Java knowledge is a plus